Sunday, November 4, 2012

Bullitt CB :: Fork Update

Thirty-nine years of rust and corrosion has taken it's toll on the Bullitt CB's forks.  Originally the plan was to lightly grind down the rust and polish the uppers.  Apparently I had underestimated the elements.  As you can see in the pic below, even after a good grinding I realized that I wouldn't be able to get them back as clean as I wanted.  On to Plan B...
I decided to try a different approach - sleeves!  I went down to my local Industrial Metal Supply, scoured the 'junk' pile and found some steel in the perfect diameter.  I had them cut to size for a budget-breaking single dollar.  Powder coated to match, created my own high-tech electrical tape collars for a snug fit and am ready to rock!
She's getting closer and closer to being road-ready.  Next stop wiring.  Wish me luck!!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Patrick. The sleeves look pretty good, but you might end up with moisture under them, just like the original headlight ear covers, and have the same corrosion problem again. Speaking of headlight ears, have you sourced out a set that will fit over the sleaves? Something to think about. Keep up the good work!

    -Scott

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Scott, thanks for the comment. As you can see in the pics above, I wrapped the forks with electrical tape as solution to keep the sleeves tight. What I did was basically wrap them too tight, then peel off one layer at a time. The end result is a pretty snug fit but I'm sure water will find it's way in there at some point.

      I do have 2 sets of ears I've been tinkering with. Neither are really knocking my socks off. I may end up just fabbing my own but it's holding up the whole electrical process! Cheers, Pat

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...